I absolutely love fruit, and baking with lemons, as you probably know from my Lemon Tea Cookie recipe.
I eat an apple every day, and always snack on bananas, raspberries, strawberries, and of course – blueberries! Now, blueberries are the perfect fruit for baking. Why? They’re like a healthy, juicy chocolate chip! Biting into a muffin filled with warm, gooey blueberries is one of the few ways to make a rainy day feel sunny. So, this past week, when May showers were getting me down, I whipped up a batch of these lovely blueberry muffins, and settled in to watch my favorite rainy day movie, Singing In The Rain. Not such a bad day after all!
Looking closer in the picture above, you can see that the blueberries turned the muffins blue on top! Personally, I think it’s an original, whimsical touch, but if you don’t want blue muffins, use fresh berries. I used frozen blueberries and voilà – blue blueberry muffins.
Now, when I first put lemon in these muffins, I was wary about how they would turn out. I didn’t want them to come out of the oven a too-tart mess! Nevertheless, I added in the zest….
And it was one of the best decisions of my life!
No, really, my taste buds can attest to that. You can see the little bits of zest in the picture, and my mouth is watering just looking at them. Adding a bit of lemon to these muffins enhances the blueberry flavor and adds a taste that’s so unexpected yet so satisfying that I can’t believe I didn’t think of it myself! But, the old, simple recipes are usually the best.
I made these muffins from the adorable little old book above, called Makin’ Muffins. Does it get cuter or more quaint than that? These muffins, and other muffins out of this little book were the first sweets I ever made from scratch, so they hold a special place in my heart.
And in my stomach!
Also, how cute is this little lemon & bluebird sugar canister from Anthropologie? I had to include it in my pictures for this post – it just fit so perfectly with this recipe!
Take the poll below so I know what fruits my readers like, and what I should bake with next!
Now, enjoy the recipe, and thank the Makin’ Muffins recipe book for the recipe!
Let me know how they go in the comments section below!
Blueberry Lemon Muffins
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 11 minutes
Yield: 12 mini muffins (doubles easily to make 12 regular muffins)
- 1/2 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon applesauce (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 of a lemon’s grated peel
- 1/2 cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen) sprinkled with
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Preheat the oven to 400*F and grease the mini muffin pan/ line with paper liners.
- Combine melted butter, sugar, and egg in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the yogurt.
- Combine baking soda, flour, and zest in a medium bowl with a wire whisk and add to wet ingredients.
- Drop in the blueberries and gently combine – you don’t want the berries to explode (but it’s fine if they do).
- Fill the mini muffin tin with about a tablespoon of batter per cup, or about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 12 minutes, remove from pan, and let cool on a plate or wire rack.