I’ve been really in the mood for berries recently, hence my last recipe, and I’ve been looking for some way to combine as many berries as I could into one dessert. This crisp, my friends, does just that!
This sweet summertime treat is positively overflowing with three different types of berries – yes, three! Raspberries, blackberries, and of course, blueberries make this crisp different than other boring, one-berry crisps. This recipe is sure to be all the rage at your next family get-together!
Indeed, the recipe to make this treat is simple as simple can be! In just five easy steps, you can prepare the berry mixture and the streusel mixture to go on top. I just had to snap a photo of the gorgeous berries above. After I washed them, I tossed them into my glass bowl without really looking. But when I went to add the other ingredients, I noticed for the first time just how spectacularly beautiful a simple bowl full of berries can be! I promise, making this crisp will truly brighten your day!
When I made these crisps, my family had decided to have a grill night, and needed a lovely, light, summer dessert to accompany our veggie burgers. They took no time to whip up, and we all enjoyed the refreshing, warm taste of summer. Perhaps in those cold winter months, I’ll make a couple of these to remind me of the summertime… Anyway, these crisps do tend to spill over the sides of ramekins, as you can see in some of the photos, so make sure you bake the ramekins on a cookie sheet, so you don’t have any dangerous fruity drips burning in your oven.
Juicy Triple Berry Oatmeal Crisp
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (in ramekins)
- 1 1/2 cups blackberries
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup raw almonds, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- Preheat the oven to 350*F, grease the ramekins, and rinse all of the berries.
- In a medium bowl, combine berries, sugar, cornstarch, and orange juice.
- In another bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, flour, chopped almonds, and salt. Using your hands (messy, but fun!) knead in the cold butter cubes until you have pea sized pieces in the mixture.
- Pour the berry mixture evenly into each ramekin about 3/4 of the way up, and top with the oat mixture, piling it all the way to the brim of the cup.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, or until the berries are set. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!