There’s a chill in the air, boots on my feet, and crunchy leaves falling all around… fall is finally in full swing here in New England! Harvest fairs, jack-o’-lantern carving, apple picking, and Halloween spirit are all starting to pop up in my town. And with all of these wonderfully festive events comes perhaps the most exciting thing about autumn… pumpkin! I mentioned my extreme love for pumpkin in my pumpkin scone recipe here, and I’m happy to say that I have another amazing pumpkin recipe to get you all in the fall spirit!Pretty-As-A-Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins! I brought some of these muffins in to my English class at school to spread the sweets, and everyone loved them, including my teacher! They all asked me how I had any time to bake on top of all of the homework we are given in class, and I always reply that my recipes are on the quick and easy side! Especially this fall favorite. In total, I had these baked and cooling on my counter 30 minutes after I began.The best thing about muffins, in my opinion, is biting in and finding a fluffy texture, but still tasting the flavor and richness that makes a muffin a muffin! This recipe is totally fool-proof: the baking powder combined with baking soda in the recipe gives it that oomph of fluff, and the whole cup of pure pumpkin gives it the flavor. Want to know the best thing about this impossibly easy, fantastically fall recipe?
There is only 1/2 a cup of sugar in it.
That means that these muffins are perfectly acceptable, and encouraged, to have dipped in your morning coffee or as a bedtime tide-me-over. With 1/2 a cup of sugar in the whole recipe, well, you could have three in one sitting (not that I’ve ever done that 😉 )!On that note, bake these right away – you won’t regret it come breakfast tomorrow! And throw in some extra chocolate chips for good measure… you can never have too many. Happy October lovely followers!
Pretty-As-A-Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
Prep time: 12 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup vegetable (canola) oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (plus some extra for sprinkling on the tops!)
- Preheat your oven to 350*F. Line one 12-count muffin pan with pretty autumnal liners (always necessary!)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves on low speed until incorporated.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk the brown sugar and eggs together until an even color appears. Add the pure pumpkin, vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and turn the mixer onto medium speed until just combined. Don’t over-mix the batter, or else you’ll have though muffins! Mix in the mini chocolate chips.
- Using an ice-cream scoop or a spoon, fill the cupcake liners evenly with batter. You can toss some more mini chocolate chips on the tops of the batter here! Put them in the oven and bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy!
Tip: if you have some caramel in your house, you can warm it up on the stove and drizzle it over the muffins. That’s always a crowd-pleaser!