“The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear,” according to Buddy the Elf. However, I’ve found that baking and sharing festive sweets is the real best way to spread holiday magic! And just in time for the beginning of December, and the start of the holiday season, I have a Christmas-y recipe to share with you… Gingerbread Glazed Donut Muffins!
I made these donut muffins for fun one night last week, and they turned out wonderfully! I gave them to a couple of friends the next day at school, and they loved them. So, the next night, I made them for my English class to enjoy the day before Thanksgiving, and they were all big fans, too. The best part about these muffins is the glaze, in my opinion. It’s a super-simple recipe, just sugar, water, and vanilla, but when it’s combined with the gingerbread flavor, it’s absolutely delicious!
The gingerbread flavor for this recipe is created though a mixture of a couple different holiday staple ingredients. Gingerbread is primarily made of molasses to achieve that syrupy, warm taste, but this recipe also has some spices to enhance the molasses flavor. I used cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger – the trifecta of classic holiday flavors. When you combine all of these wonderful flavors, it’s impossible not to end up with an amazing final product!
Now, this recipe does have the word donut in it, so I have to explain what that’s all about. Because these muffins are especially sweet (brown sugar!), and they’re topped with glaze, it seemed only fitting to characterize them as donut muffins! And, it’s just another reason for you to have these for breakfast! Also, if you have a donut tin, you could definitely use this recipe to bake donuts – if you do, let me know how they turn out!
The next time the weather is just a little too chilly for your liking, or you’ve had a bad day, tie on your favorite apron, turn on some Christmas music, and bake up these bad boys! I promise, they’ll do the trick. Happy December!
Gingerbread Glazed Donut Muffins
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 17 minutes
Yield: 18 donut muffins
Donut Muffin Ingredients:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 400*F and line or butter a 12-cup muffin tin. In another muffin tin, line or butter 6 holes, and fill the unused ones with water, to even out the heat when baking.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon for with a whisk.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine brown sugar with butter on medium-high speed until it’s pale and fluffy. Blend in the vegetable oil.
- Add in eggs one at a time and mix just until combined. Stir in the vanilla and molasses.
- Pour 1/4 of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, and combine. Scrape down the bowl and don’t over-mix – your batter should be lumpy!
- Add 1/4 of the milk and mix just until just combined, then repeat this process and until all of the flour mixture and milk is combined, although still lumpy, with the wet ingredients.
- Using an ice cream scoop, distribute the batter in the pans, filling each cup 3/4 full. Bake for 8 minutes, then reduce your oven temperature to 375*F and continue to bake 9 minutes longer, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- When the muffins have cooled, dip each into the glaze or drizzle it over the tops. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla and water to make a smooth glaze. Add as much water as necessary to achieve your desired consistency. Enjoy!