I could eat an entire batch of these muffins myself. And, because this recipe is so healthy… I wouldn’t feel guilty! Well, maybe not a whole batch, but more than one. 🙂 These muffins are delicious and super good for you. The recipe uses whole wheat pastry flour, no butter, and no sugar. Yes, no butter and no sugar. Too good to be true?
Because I’ve been so busy with midterms this past week or so, I haven’t had a ton of time to bake. And, it’s never good to fill yourself up with sweets before a big test – you have to stay healthy! So, that’s why, after my AP Biology and AP U.S. History exams today, I whipped up a batch of these amazing muffins. They meet all of my requirements: they’re quick to make, easy, and healthy. And because tests start at 7:30 a.m., I can even have these babies for breakfast!
What makes these muffins especially delicious is that they aren’t dried out, like muffins can easily become. Instead, I used plain yogurt, honey, and three whole bananas to make sure they stayed the perfect texture when they baked. It’s important to use ripe or overripe bananas whenever you’re baking. If you don’t your whole finished product could end up tasting like gross, green bananas. No one wants that – so make sure they’re yellow with some brown spots!
To put the finishing touch on these muffins, I stirred in about 1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate chips. Feel free to use chocolate chunks, carob chips (for an even healthier option), or maybe peanut butter chips – I bet that would be to die for!
I mean, yum! These muffins are best served warm, so the chocolate chips are soft and gooey, and they combine well with the banana flavor. If you aren’t serving them directly out of the oven, try warming them up in the microwave for 20 seconds on high. That way, you’ll warm up the chocolate chips without having to eat them straight out of the oven!
Enjoy this healthy recipe, you guys, and have a wonderful weekend!
Guilt-Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 22 minutes
Yield: 12-15 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon skim soy milk (or any milk of your choice)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350*F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Place bananas, honey, vanilla, oil, egg, milk and yogurt in a blender, and blend on high for about 30 seconds, or until well combined, smooth and creamy. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and turn the mixer on medium low for about 20 seconds – until just combined. Toss in the chocolate chips.
- Using an ice cream scoop, distribute the batter evenly into the lined muffin tin and bake for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan. They’re best served warm! Enjoy!