Has everyone survived the snowpocalypse? It wasn’t terrible here in Connecticut, but I got a snow day off from school, anyway. Yay! And can you guess what I did on my day off? I whipped up a brand new recipe to share with all of you! Here it is… Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Happy Cookies!
What are happy cookies, you ask? Well, it’s something I just thought of when I was titling this post. Happy cookies are cookies that make you smile. These cookies make me smile because they’re relatively healthy (oats!), are filled with chocolate (a necessity), and are perfect for dipping in tea or coffee (both of which I drink daily). Hence, happy cookies!
Aside from being able to dip these amazing cookies in tea or coffee, they’re delicious with a glass of milk, as well (as you can see in the picture above). It was my sister’s idea to fill some ramekins with milk – rather than trying to dip a wide, round cookie in a glass that’s tall and skinny, it makes so much more sense to dip them in a type of glass where they actually fit. The way I have cookies and milk changed forever upon this discovery 🙂
These happy cookies don’t take a lot of effort to make, either. After ten or fifteen minutes of mixing ingredients together, you can pop them in the fridge for an hour to freeze them up, and then bake them for about 15 minutes. This is the perfect type of cookie for someone busy; you can make the batter in no time, and then pop them out of the fridge a week or two later to bake! I love preparing sweets in advance, or at least getting some parts of the job done, and these cookies are perfect for just that.
I hope none of you got too stuck in the blizzard these past few days, but if you happen to be inside with nothing to do, I recommend baking up a batch of these babies! They’re perfect for curling up next to a fire with a good book, and they’re guaranteed to make you smile – they’re happy cookies, after all!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Happy Cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: One dozen cookies
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the egg, butter, both sugars, and vanilla on medium speed for a few minutes, scraping the bowl as needed. Add in the chocolate chips and again beat on low speed.
- Add in the oats, flour, cinnamon, and baking soda, and beat on low speed until there are no dry streaks. Then, toss in the chocolate chips and combine gently.
- With an ice cream scoop, make 12 mounds of dough on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat liner. Sprinkle the mounds with a few more chocolate chips on top. Place them in the refrigerator for at least an hour, or up to a week.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F after about 45 minutes of chilling the cookies. Bake them for about 15 minutes, and then let them cook on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes after taking them out of the oven. Enjoy!