Summer is the best, isn’t it? Everything seems conquerable in the summertime. With the weather on your side, the flowers seeming to cheer you on like brightly colored flags, and the air smelling sweet and fresh, you can do anything. At least that’s how I feel. On that note, I’m happy to report that in my attempt to make the best ever blueberry muffins, I have succeeded. Thanks, summer.
These are the softest, most cake-like muffins, topped with a generous layer of crumb topping, and bursting with in-season blueberries. I went blueberry picking for the first time at Jones Family Farms and it was absolutely amazing. Filling my basket gave me such a sense of accomplishment, and it was a perfect way to enjoy the sunshine. Go blueberry picking this summer if you haven’t gone!
After my lovely blueberry-picking adventure with my boyfriend, Eric, I was itching to get in the kitchen and see what blueberry confection I could create. When Eric requested blueberry muffins, I was a bit unenthused. That is, until I experimented and discovered how to take these bad boys from boring to a stroke of berry brilliance.
In the batter, I added a splash of almond extract in addition to vanilla extract. Something about the nutty, cozy almond flavor makes the blueberries really pop.
Once I start adding somewhat random flavors to my recipes, you can’t stop me. Enter a healthy sprinkling of cinnamon and a dash of ginger.
Ginger? You ask. With blueberries? Just a tiny hint of ginger totally elevates these muffins, adding some spice-driven sophistication for your palette. There’s also a bit of full-fat plain yogurt in the batter for extra soft dreaminess… I used regular yogurt, but Greek would work like a charm, too.
Whatever you do, don’t use frozen blueberries for this recipe. Go out and get some fresh summer berries – your taste buds will thank you. Look at how the jam-packed these muffins are with bluebs!
Do yourself a favor and make these muffins today. Share them with a friend, bask in the sunshine, and embrace the summer spirit. You can do anything!
Better-Than-Bakery Blueberry Crumb Muffins
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 26 minutes
Yield: 12 regular-sized muffins, or 6 jumbo muffins
For the muffins
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened (3/4 stick)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of ginger
- 1 3/4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup milk (I used almond)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (regular or Greek both work)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
For the crumble
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted (1/2 cup, 8 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 375*F and line a muffin tin with liners. In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. In a separate bowl, toss the blueberries gently in 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture until coated,
- On low speed, add the flour mixture slowly to the wet ingredients. Pour in the milk, yogurt, vanilla, and almond extract, and beat on high speed for about 30 seconds to aerate the batter. By hand, gently fold in the blueberries with a spatula, being careful not to crush any.
- Make the crumble topping by stirring together all of the crumble ingredients in a medium bowl until fully combined – stir together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon.
- Fill your muffin tins almost full with batter, then evenly sprinkle the crumble on top of each muffin. It’ll seem like the tins are over-filled, but that means you’re doing it right. Bake for 26 minutes or until the crumb topping is golden and a toothpick comes out crumb-free. Allow the muffins to cool for 15 minutes before removing them from the pan.
Store them in an airtight container or cover them with saran wrap to trap in moisture – they’re even better the second and third days, if you can make them last that long!