Hello friends, and happy first day of September! I’m moved into my new school, Wesleyan University, and can’t wait to start classes on Monday.
With the beginning of a new school year comes new beginnings and choices. Something new I’m trying out is veganism! Don’t worry – this blog won’t become 100% vegan by any means, but you may notice a few more vegan recipes here and there. Although I won’t be able to eat all of the sweets I make, I have a few faithful taste-testers to help me with recipe development.
Here’s the first vegan recipe I’m sharing with you. These Apple Pie Oatmeal Cookies are low-calorie, low-sugar, and low-fat, but high in fiber-filled apples and heart-healthy rolled oats. They’re the perfect breakfast before dashing off to a morning class, and a great snack. Portable, healthy, delicious, and easy to make, these cookies will become an autumn staple!
If you’re an oatmeal cookie fan or overnight oats aficionado, these cookie are right up your alley. Filled with applesauce, aromatic spices, and even small apple cubes, they’re perfect for fall. Pop them in the microwave for a few seconds before taking a bite… just like apple pie!
Enjoy this recipe, happy September, and good luck to any students or teachers with this new school year!
Apple Pie Oatmeal Cookies
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 14 minutes
Yield: 8 medium-sized cookies
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Dash of ginger
- Dash of cloves
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 cup cubed apple (make very small cubes of peeled apple so they fit in the cookies)
- 1/3 cup no-sugar-added applesauce
- 1/4 cup sugar of choice (brown would work well but I tried out granulated monkfruit sweetener successfully)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350*F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, stir together the dry ingredients – oats, flour, cornstarch, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together the applesauce, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Sprinkle in the apple cubes and stir until evenly distributed.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, form the batter into 8 balls on your cookie sheet, and flatten them out with your palm or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 14 minutes, or until golden brown and no longer very soft. Store them in an airtight container for a week. Enjoy your healthy vegan sweets!